Carpenter Brut – Roller Mobster
I want to say this is my contribution to the Retrowave trend, but rather it’s more of an inspiration on a couple things I’ve seen or heard lately. I don’t have plans for a comic series at the moment. All I could think of right now is the premise: After regaining pieces of her old memory, a woman takes down the corporation responsible for stealing her former life. This took about 4 weeks to finish, including preproduction art, multiple takes, and a few breaks in between.
- The idea came from several sources, including:
- Atomic Blonde trailer – Female protagonist
- Wonder Woman trailer – Glowing weapon
- Hotline Miami (game) – Music and action
- Beyond the Black Rainbow (film) – The Magent’s helmets
- Tron (film) & “12:51” by The Strokes – The light trail of the whip
- “Starboy” by The Weeknd, feat. Daft Punk – The ambient cinematography
- “Roller Mobster” by Carpenter – Feel and influence
- Nerve (film) – Lighting
- Retrowave – General influence
- 1980s – Apparel
- CMYK (Cyan, Yellow, Magenta, Black) colors – Inspired names
- I started by drawing out the main character, including her outfit and face.
- Drew 4 different poses. Ended up going with the fourth one.
- Drew the final pose on pencil and paper. The inking was done digitally using the pen tool.
- Later drew the “Magents” character sheet with a couple helmet designs.
- The Magents were drawn in digitally.
- Background was done digitally as well, using guidelines and the pen tool.
- Coloring, tweaking, and other effects were done in separate layers and groups (main character, back enemies, from enemy, background). This was done so I could adjust and move the assets around as I see fit. However, this caused the file to be much bigger (like over a gigabyte).